Tuesday, August 9, 2016

I don't want to forget...

This happened about a week ago and I've been meaning to write it down. It was so special to me I want to remember it forever.
Last week, for some reason (cough-monthly hormones- cough cough) I was so emotional. I was home-sick and just down on myself. One day, nothing in particular happened, but I just started to cry. I was sitting on the floor in our bedroom watching Sawyer crawl around across the room from me. As soon as I started to cry she stopped dead in her tracks and looked at me. She crawled right over to me and sat in my lap and just looked in my eyes as I cried. She sat there with me until I stopped crying, and in that moment, I was so grateful for her. She was all I needed to stop crying. I felt so bonded to her in that moment and as much as I loved her before, I feel a different sort of connection with her now.
It's so amazing how in tune these little babies are. Before I had a baby I would see other babies and all I really saw was how little they were. I don't see Sawyer that way. She seems so smart to me. I can see how much she is learning every day. I see her put things together in her mind and figure things out. I see how quickly she is developing. She is not just a little, helpless baby to me. She is so amazing, and this moment showed me again just how much she actually does understand things.
She is 10 months old and I still stare at her in awe that she's mine. I had a baby. I HAVE a child. She's so incredible to me that I feel like I have to pinch myself sometimes.
Does everyone feel this way about their babies? Is this what it's like to be a parent?
I watched a movie tonight where a mother lost her son at 12 years old and I just sobbed. That poor mother. I mean, death is always hard, but to lose a child? Now that I have one it just seems like the absolute worst thing. It would feel like a part of me was taken away.
I love her so much that I feel like I could burst.

1 comment:

  1. I have a little girl too. She seems so smart to me. I can see how much she is learning every day. I watch her from Utah and smile as she figures things out. She is so amazing, and this (blog) showed me again just how much she actually does understand things. Now that she has her own little girl she can understand just how much I love her.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete