Friday, February 19, 2016

Chapter 1: Love at first sight???

I decided I wanted to write down our story piece by piece so I can have it printed up.

September 30, 2013: Monday
My single's stake had a talent show. I was singing a song I had written (Just Friends) and had a guy in my ward playing the guitar for me (I don't do so well at singing and playing at the same time, so I taught it to him).

Matt was there with his ward band, he played the drums for them. I remember being in a room to practice and he came in with another girl to practice also, but left when they saw us. No words exchanged.

The talent show was so fun, but I pretty much was there alone, so once it was over my plan was to just bee-line it out of there. I am a total introvert and I get anxiety and the thought of talking to people after I sing, so I just wanted out of there.

As everyone was standing to get refreshments I looked over across the aisle and saw Matt sitting there, looking at me, with a little smile on his face. Honestly, I can still see it when I think about it and it STILL gives me butterflies. I definitely thought he was cute, but because of my introvertness I knew I wouldn't talk to him, and would probably never see him again. He assumed I was dating the guy that played the guitar for me, so he wasn't going to talk to me either. So, what's the harm in a little eye flirtation? We locked eyes for a good 3 seconds. That is a LONG time to make eye contact with a stranger, if you think about it. It was totally intentional, you could cut the tension with a knife. Then I got up and left.

October 4, 201: Friday
My friend Ashley had invited me to meet up with her and a group of people for dinner and a movie. She had become a really good friend of mine over the summer so of course I went. At dinner she was telling me about these guys that were going to be meeting us at the movie. I remember her talking about Matt and saying, "You guys might actually hit it off...". I was interested in a guy in Utah at the time, so I wasn't really "looking" but hey, it never hurts to have options (especially options in the same state).

After dinner we went to the movie and the two guys came and sat down. I was sitting in between Matt and Ashley (at this point I did not recognize him from the talent show). As soon as he sat down Ashley started asking him about all the girls in his life. Again, I was sitting right between them so I kind of leaned back to get out of their way. I remember Matt was giving her one word answers and a lot of "oh... yeah... not interested in her anymore." or "Oh, that's not happening...". Honestly, my first impression was, "Oh he's one of those guys... Always dating a different girl. Probably cocky. No thanks." Once the movie started, and throughout, he and I would just kind of make jokes (we were seeing Austenland which was really silly so there was a lot to make fun of) He was fun to flirt with, but I still had my reservations about him.

When the movie ended and we were all walking out he said to me, "What stake are you in?" I said, "Tempe" he said, "Were you in the talent show on Monday?"
This is when I realized who he was and I was MORTIFIED!!! You guys... I STARED at him for multiple seconds. As mentioned before, it was flirtatious and it was intentional and I thought I would never see him again! I was bright red in the face, but thankfully it was night time.
I kept my cool, outwardly, and just said, "Oh yeah... I was there."
Little did I know, as soon as he saw me in the theater he knew who I was. He sat down next to me on purpose, and when Ashley was talking to him about all the women in his life, he was trying to SHUT THAT DOWN!

At this point there was about 5 of us standing outside the theater talking. It was getting to the point for him to ask for my number and I thought that would be SUPER awkward in front of everyone. I figured if he really wanted it he could get it from Ashley, so quite abruptly I said, "K, bye!" and went home.

The next day I got a text from Ashley that said, "So... I know you have that guy in Utah so I didn't want to do anything without talking to you first, but Matt was asking about you." I said, "Did he want to know my story?" She said, "Yes, that's exactly what he said." I said, "Well nothing is happening with the guy in Utah, so I'm fine with you giving him my number."

October 6, 2013: Sunday



To Be Continued...

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the Keddington's. I totally remember you singing that song in the singles ward back in 2010 (you sang with a girl who played guitar) and I have been telling people about that song for years. I need a recording of it!
    Very cute story too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jaycee Voorhees, she co-wrote the song with me :) I'm so glad to hear that you liked it so much. That makes my day :)

      Delete
  2. I love the non-committal too-cool-for-school response: "I'll try to swing by". Classic. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, what was your story? What does that mean?

    ReplyDelete