Monday, July 13, 2015

Taking it all in

Although I know the last trimester tends to drag on, I feel like it will be over before we know it.
I want to do so many things that I don't have energy for.
Nearly every Fourth of July my family goes camping up in Utah. This year was no exception and I can't believe how jealous that made me. I kept seeing pictures and it made me miss the mountains, and cool weather.
I love camping. I love sitting around a fire and roasting mallows. I love hanging out with family laughing and telling stories. I love sleeping under the stars. I love waking up to the sun and feeling the cool weather outside of my sleeping bag. I LOVE CAMPING.
Matt and I both love camping, and the fact that we haven't been once this year was seriously getting to me. The hard thing is, in the summer you do not want to go camping in the desert, it's way too hot. So in order to get that mountainy feeling you have to drive a ways.
After the Fourth, I made Matt promise to take me camping the next weekend. We keep talking about it, but something always comes up to take it's place. I told him, "If anything comes up this week, we can't go, we are GOING camping"
Thursday night Matt stayed up scouting locations. We typically go somewhere between Sedona and Flagstaff, but he wanted to try somewhere new. He chose a place called Blue Ridge Reservoir, about 3.5 hours away.
We decided we'd sleep in the bed of the truck so there would be one less thing to set up. Matt got off work a little bit early and started getting things all packed up. I got home, got packed and we headed out.
To get there, you drive on highway for about 2 hours, unpaved road for about 30 minutes, dirt road for about 30 minutes and really really bumpy road for about 30 minutes. Baby did NOT love the terrain. We likely won't go again before having the baby, for fear it would put me in labor with not a soul in sight. (Luckily I have read the part in "What to Expect When You're Expecting" about having your spouse deliver your baby, we'd be fine)
It was dark by the time we were getting there and neither of us had been there before so we didn't really know where we were looking. We got to a place where we just couldn't drive any further. Matt was expecting a paid campground, but there was no one and nothing around for miles, so we said, "Looks like this is where we sleep tonight."
Matt built a fire pit and got a nice fire going and we sat by the fire, eating smores and just chit chatting for a while.
We got our bed all set up in the bed of the truck and slept underneath the stars. The weather was about 57 which was just perfect! It was nice and cool outside, but not too cold. I slept like a baby, which hasn't happened often lately so it was very welcomed.
We woke up at about 7:00 when the sun wouldn't let us sleep anymore.
We could not believe how beautiful of a place we were in. It was just the perfect morning.


Without having a tent, taking apart camp happened really fast. We decided to explore and find the reservoir. According to the map we used to get there, it shouldn't be too much further away. What we didn't realize is Matt just put in Blue Ridge Reservoir on his map. This would take you there, but not necessarily a convenient way. After we drove as far as we could, we walked a little ways and found the reservoir, at the base of the cliff we were standing on. We came from the back and had no way to access it unless we were to drive a long ways again.
We just decided to head back to town, get some breakfast and drive home.
As mentioned before, we drove at night so we had no idea how beautiful the drive was. Driving home was breathtaking. We kept stopping to take pictures and sighed a little each time the tempurature raised a degree (about 40 in total :( )





We got home about 1 in the afternoon. 7 hours of driving for about 12 hours at the site was totally worth it, in my opinion. It was so nice just to get away with Matt and have a little adventure.
Soaking up the time we have left as just a twosome.

No comments:

Post a Comment