Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day

As this holiday approached I heard many different attitudes, but seemingly the most common is, "Such a dumb holiday, such a waste of money."
Even before I had a Valentine, I loved the idea of the holiday. I love that there is a day set aside just to show the person you love that you love them. Of course, people will argue that you "should" do that every day, but the fact is that we don't. We don't spend enough time loving. So I'm glad there is a day for it.
The year I moved to Arizona I wrote a blog post about just that. It's here if you want to read it. I was a single girl, about to move away and for the first time, it hit me what the holiday was for. Little did I know, that would be my last lonely Valentine's Day.
I love that we have an excuse to get all gussied up, go out on the town and just be openly and annoyingly in love.
I love that I have a husband who likes to be romantic and surprise me.
That being said, our plans for Valentine's changed last minute. We had been planning for weeks to go camping Friday night and then double date with our friends on Saturday. On Thursday they text us and asked us if we wanted to go to the desert on Saturday and eat, roast mallows, ride quads and what not with some other friends. We agreed and decided camping the night before would be a headache.
Matt asked me if I wanted to make Friday our Valentine's Date and what I wanted to do. He then got a smirk on his face and said, "I have an idea, but I'm not telling you"
All day I wondered what it could be, where we were going to go. I got home from work to a bouquet of lilies (my favorite) and a card with a coupon for a spa day. I found Matt in a back room ironing a dress shirt,  he told me this place had a dress code, so I had to change.
We drove to Phoenix, to the Wrigley Mansion (you know, Wrigley Gum) He signed up for a month trial membership so we could get in for dinner. We had an AMAZING and expensive dinner on a balcony, then we toured the mansion which was so fascinating.
Then we went to Yogurtland (super fancy) got dessert and came home. The whole time we reminisced on different things and commented on how much we love that we have stories, memories and inside jokes that only we know about.
My whole life I wanted a Valentine, I always wanted to celebrate this holiday and now I have the most wonderful man to share it with.
I love love.

No comments:

Post a Comment